The Onboarding Wizard is a guided setup tool that helps new users integrate their first datasource with CloudWisdom. Before using the Onboarding Wizard, CloudWisdom recommends completing some configuration steps in the AWS console. These steps ensure you have all of the required settings in place to integrate to CloudWisdom.
1. Configure AWS
1. Enable Cost Explorer
Cost Explorer must be enabled from the master billing account—even if already set up on a sub-account. IAM Roles set up with the master billing account allow CloudWisdom to present reports spanning all of your accounts; IAM Roles set up with a sub-account only reports cost for that one account.
- Log in to your AWS master billing account.
- Navigate to Cost Explorer.
- Select Enable Cost Explorer.
- The API is now available for use but has no data; you can request up to a year of cost billing data from AWS.
2. Enable Cost & Usage Reports in AWS
Cost and Usage Reports (CUR) have replaced Detailed Billing in AWS. CloudWisdom recommends switching to (or starting with) a CUR setup instead of using AWS Detailed Billing.
Already have an existing Cost and Usage Report with GZIP or ZIP compression set up? Great! You can skip this section. You’ll need to provide your CUR’s Report Path Prefix at a later stage in this setup.
- Log in to your AWS Console.
- Navigate to Billing > Cost & Usage Reports.
- Select Create report.
- Name the report
- Enable the Include resource IDs checkbox.
- Select Next.
- Select Configure to choose (or create) a S3 bucket that will store your files.
- Provide a Report path prefix, such as
CostAndUsageReports. Do not include any leaning or trailing forward slashes; doing so may distort the file hierarchy output by AWS.
- Select Hourly under Time granularity.
- Select your preferred Report versioning method. Overwriting the existing report may save on your storage costs in the future.
- Leave all data integration options unchecked.
- Select GZIP for Compression type.
- Select Next.
- Review your configurations.
- Save the Report path prefix found under Delivery Options (without /date-range/). You need this for part 2, section 3.
- Select Review and Complete to create the Cost and Usage Report (CUR).
It can take up to a few hours for data to populate in the S3 bucket.
2. Complete Onboarding Wizard in CloudWisdom
1. Create an IAM Role
- Log in to CloudWisdom. You will be automatically directed to the Onboarding Wizard.
- Select Get Started.
- Select Run Cloudformation Script. This opens a new tab and is the fastest way to set up your IAM role; you will be prompted to log in to AWS.
- Enable the I acknowledge that AWS CloudFormation might create IAM resources checkbox.
- Select Create Stack. This process may take a few minutes. Wait for the stack to say CREATE_COMPLETE before proceeding to the next step.
- Select the stack you have created. It will start with
- Navigate to the Outputs tab.
- Copy the Role ARN Value.
- Return to the CloudWisdom Onboarding Wizard and paste the Role ARN into the field.
- Select Next: Cloudwatch.
2. Configure CloudWatch Data Collection
CloudWisdom collects performance data to power analyses. The elements enabled by default are recommended and can be changed at any time.
1. Approve the list of enabled default collections; uncheck any you wish to disable.
2. Select Next: Cost and Billing.
3. Configure Cost & Billing Settings
- Leave Cost Explorer enabled.
- Complete the following fields:
- Detailed Billing Source: select Cost and Usage Report (recommended) for your Detailed Billing Source. Detailed Billing Files are a legacy feature of AWS and may not be supported in the future.
- S3 Bucket Name: Select the s3 bucket you created in section 1, part 2.
- Report Path Prefix: Input the path prefix of an existing CUR or the new one created in section 1, part 2.
- Select Next: Summary.
4. Name & Finalize New Datasource
- Provide a name for your AWS datasource.
- Select Confirm & Finish.
You can create more datasources using the guides in our Integrations section.