Cost & Usage Reports
Cost and Usage Reports (CUR) have replaced Detailed Billing in AWS. CloudWisdom recommends switching to (or starting with) a CUR setup instead of using AWS Detailed Billing.
Already have an existing Cost and Usage Report with GZIP or ZIP compression set up? Great! Simply copy the Report Path Prefix of your existing CUR and skip to part 2 of this guide.
1. Enable Cost & Usage Reports in AWS
- Log in to your AWS Console.
- Navigate to Billing > Cost & Usage Reports.
- Select Create report.
- Name the report
- Enable the Include resource IDs checkbox.
- Select Next.
- Select Configure to choose (or create) a S3 bucket that will store your files.
- Provide a Report path prefix, such as
CostAndUsageReports. Do not include any leaning or trailing forward slashes; doing so may distort the file hierarchy output by AWS.
- Select Hourly under Time granularity.
- Select your preferred Report versioning method. Overwriting the existing report may save on your storage costs in the future.
- Leave all data integration options unchecked.
- Select GZIP for Compression type.
- Select Next.
- Review your configurations.
- Copy the Report path prefix found under Delivery Options (without /date-range/). You need this for part 2.
- Select Review and Complete to create the Cost and Usage Report (CUR).
It can take up to a few hours for data to populate in the S3 bucket.
2. Update your AWS Integration in CloudWisdom
If you have just created your IAM role, wait 2-5 minutes for AWS to finalize its creation before proceeding to these steps. This ensures the new role has the correct s3 access permissions when added to CloudWisdom.
- From the side navigation menu, select Integrations.
- Select the Amazon Web Services card.
- Select Cost and Usage Report (recommended) from the Detailed Billing Source dropdown.
- Scroll to the Detailed Billing Settings section and complete the following fields:
- S3 Bucket Name: the case sensitive name of bucket chosen in section 1, step 7.
- Report Path Prefix: Input the path prefix of an existing CUR or the new one created in section 1, step 8:
- Select Save.
Cost & Usage Report Best Practices
The following best practices ensure optimal Cost & Usage report setup.
Request CUR Setup for Resold Resources
You may not have access to your billing preferences if you have purchased AWS services through a reseller. You must contact your reseller and request to be set up with an S3 bucket to store your CUR data.
Reseller concerned about sharing an S3 bucket?
Virtana only reads the costs for accounts that we monitor; we discard all data for any unrelated accounts. You can also have them reach out to our support team with any questions they may have.