How to Enable Detailed Billing
- If you already have an S3 bucket receiving billing files from Amazon, then you do not need to complete steps 1 and 2. You can go directly to step 3 to provide Metricly access to the existing files.
- If you have already created an S3 bucket, you will not need to create a separate one. Just be sure to select the correct S3 bucket in step 2.
1. Create an S3 Bucket
- Log into AWS and navigate to the Services > S3.
- Click Create Bucket.
- Type a unique
Bucket Name, select a region, and click Create.
2. Enable Detailed Billing Reports
- In AWS, click your Username > My Billing Dashboard. Then in the left-hand menu, click Preferences.
- Select the Receive Billing Reports checkbox.
- In the Save to S3 Bucket field, enter the bucket name of the bucket you created in Step 1 and click Sample Policy.
- Copy the generated policy.
- In a new, separate tab, navigate to the S3 bucket you created in Step 1 (Services > S3 > Bucket Name).
- Navigate to the Permissions tab and click Bucket Policy.
- Paste the following policy and click Save:
- Return to the previous tab (Preferences section in the Billing & Cost Management page), and click Verify next to the Save to S3 Bucket field. For Amazon to correctly verify the bucket, the bucket must exist–match the name you typed in the field–and have appropriate permissions set (e.g., the sample policy you added in the previous step).
- Once your bucket is verified, select the check boxes within the Report section next to all of the reports, including Monthly report, Detailed billing report, Cost allocation report, and Detailed billing report with resources and tags.
- Optionally, click Manage report tags below the billing report options and enable all desired tags.
- Click Save Preferences. It can take up to 24 hours before files start arriving in the S3 bucket.
3. Update your AWS integration in Metricly
- From the top navigation menu, select Integrations.
- Click the Amazon Web Services card.
- Toggle Detailed Billing and scroll to the final section.
- Type the
S3 bucket name into the corresponding field.
The bucket name is case sensitive and must exactly match the bucket created in Step 1.
- Click Save.